Akira Yamaguchi Surrealist Artist


A Different Yamaguchi


Akira Yamaguchi doesn't seem to have much of a web presence in English or Japanese.  I only found out about this wonderful artist when I was visiting the Mori Museum gift shop and found a copy of his book which I immediately bought.  He is considered to be a Neo Nihonga (New Japanese style) artist who intends to keep traditional art techniques going with a modern twist. Another notable artist in this category is Takashi Murakami. Yamaguchi's work combines traditional Japanese imagery / techniques with modern settings to create surreal pictures.  You could have Samurai deploying a robot or peasants and modern business men on the same street or strangely merged modern and medieval structures.

His work can come in some pretty large sizes as you can tell from these murals at the airport.
Airport   Flickr / aka.me
Airport Closeup   Flickr / aka.me

Comments

Popular Posts