Nomiya Edmonton Review (Ramen, Sushi, and Tapas)

Hmmm.... I'm in Edmonton and looking for ramen, sushi, or some izakaya type appetizers or tapas.  Where do I go?  For sushi, there are a ton of places.  Some of my favourites are Mikado and Wasabi for sushi.   This blog is based out of Edmonton so it is a long way to go to Vancouver or Tokyo for ramen, sushi, and izakaya dishes.  I even make my own gyudon as no one does that around here.  Nomiya hits that sweet spot for all three items I just talked about.  This is a great place to go if you have people wanting different things to eat.
Shio Ramen with Extra Egg (yolks are supposed to be a little runny)
It is probably the best place in the city to go for Japanese ramen (Wikipedia) and I'm not talking about Chinese noodle soup here from Chinatown.  The restaurant's ramen compares very well with other ramen places in Calgary and some in Vancouver.  Tokyo is going to win this hands down, but how many other ramen restaurants do you see in this city of the great white north? I've been going to Nomiya for years now and the quality has been pretty good for the soup which is hearty and tasty (yes, there has been the odd time that it isn't as good, but that can happen anywhere).  I usually have the shio or soy ramen, but the tonkotsu and other types of soup are all good too.

Their sushi comes out pretty good too with good quality fish that can be enjoyed in conventional sushi or sashimi or in a very tasty sushi salad with a miso dressing.   Finally, on the izakaya side, they do a decent tonkatsu pork cutlet, chicken karaage (like my mom used to make), and a number of other side appetizers.  The appetizers are something that is often overlooked and they offer a good variety of dishes - even grilled fish.  At lunch the bento boxes are a good deal.

Anyhow, one of these day I'm going to do a humorous blog post about why Edmonton isn't Tokyo, but this place will come out with praise in it!


Nomiya
646, 3803 Calgary Trail
Edmonton, Alberta T6J5M8
Phone (780) 462-1300



Comments

Popular Posts